Do you want to delete your user profile on Windows 10? Are you looking for ways to delete your profile? Then, this post is just for you as it looks at how you can delete a user profile for Windows 10. Learn to delete a profile for a user account without having to delete the account itself. Thus, it will ensure that all the settings and preferences for Windows and all apps of a specific user are reset. Read on to find out how deleting a user profile in Windows 10 can be done.
How to Properly Remove User Account for Windows 10?
The user profile is simply as set of folders and files which store all the documents, app settings, personal preferences, and other data. Each user account will have an associated user profile. Generally, the user profile will be stored in the folder C under Users\Username. It includes subfolders such as Downloads, Documents, Desktop, etc and some hidden folders like App Data that stores the settings of all installed apps and Windows features. The main aim of a user profile is to provide users with a personalized environment based on their individual options.
The user profile can be deleted without having to remove the account if it has been corrupted and needs to be reset. Thus, when you sign-in the next time, a new profile would be created automatically for the user account. Before you proceed, you need to ensure that the user account is given the administrative privileges. Moreover, you should keep in mind that the profile for the current account cannot be deleted. This is why you need to sign in to another user account instead of the account whose profile data needs to be deleted. The following steps will help you delete the user profile for Windows 10.
- Hit the Win + R hotkeys on your keyboard. Then, the Run dialog would appear. Type “SystemPropertiesAdvanced” into the text box and hit enter.
- Click on Settings in the User Profiles section when Advanced System Properties open up.
- Choose the user account profile you want to delete from the User Profiles window and click on the delete button.
- Next, you need to confirm the request to have the profile of that user account deleted.
Thus, when you sign in, your profile would be automatically recreated with all of the default settings and options.
Manually Delete User Profile for Windows 10
The following steps will help you delete the user profile for Windows 10 manually.
- Open File Explore and click on C:\Users.
- Find the user name that you want deleted. You will need to delete the folder that contains everything related to that user profile.
- Open Registry Editor and head to the Registry key “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList”
- Go through the sub keys and find the value data for Profile Image Path string value. Remove the one that points to the deleted user profile.
- That’s it. You have successfully deleted the user profile for Windows 10.